Thursday, March 26, 2009

Turns out, I'm the problem

I returned to Genesis after spending much time with Paul because I tend to over-intellectualize everything. Paul feeds into this because of of the nature of his writings and I was drifting too far into the mind and away from the heart (balance, people, balance!).

So I am enjoying Genesis in my NIV Study Bible, when our Lutheran study Bibles arrived. Beautiful editions of the NRSV...(awkward pause)...NRSV?....well what the heck is the difference between NIV and NRSV?....ooooooooooooooooookay....here we go again....

The NRSV comes down from the King James version (the favorite of Protestants) and tries to maintain the literal translation and ambiguities while rendering the Bible into a contemporary language. The NIV will go a step further including use of gender-neutral language but still trying to preserve the literal translation. The literal part is critical for me; I'm super-sensitive to people trying to slip their personal business into my Bible! I want my ambiguity!

Now I absolutely will NOT take my reading and then start trying to compare the two translations, a nightmare of intellectual temptation during my morning faith moments. Here, what does noted NT authority Raymond Brown say? (hold on, wait for it, wait for it) "...one should choose a translation carefully. No translation is perfect, and readers can learn much from comparing them." OF COURSE, DR. BROWN, AND THANKS, THANKS A LOT.

No comments: