Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reading the Bible Online

I've been startled to realize how much of my reading is now online. It's often easier to read texts at a computer when I'm at work. If I'm reading a book, a lot of people assume I'm goofing off, even though I work in an academic setting. If I'm staring at a computer screen, people assume I'm working hard. If this situation is true for me, working at a school, I assume it's even more true for people working in an office.


More and more, I pray the daily office from a website, not my prayer book. As we recommit to Bible reading for Lent, I'm going to experiment with online resources.

I found this site which appears to have the whole Bible online. It's the ESV Bible, which isn't my favorite translation, but it's better than not reading and it seems to be an accurate translation, inasmuch as any translation can be said to be accurate. If you click through the tabs and connect to pages, you'll find all sorts of options, Twittering and audio options and a daily e-mail amongst them.

I thought I'd post these thoughts, just in case you, too, find it easier to read on a computer screen (or cell phone screen or e-mail text or . . .), in hopes that having more options will make it easier for you to get your Bible reading done.

No comments: